Type of institution: TAFE Institute
This qualification describes the skills and knowledge for trade level roles carried out under general direction within sports turf management. Individuals with this qualification perform tasks autonomously involving a broad range of skills that are applied in a wide variety of sports turf facilities and workplaces. They exercise discretion and judgement in planning tasks, selecting and operating equipment, coordinating resources and applying contingency measures during work.Legislation related to the installation of irrigation and the storage, handling and application of chemicals applies in some states and territories.
- Estimate, measure and calculate measurements for work
- Operate land-forming machinery and equipment
- Control plant pests, diseases and disorders
- Implement soil improvements for garden and turf areas
- Monitor turf health
- Prepare and apply chemicals to control pest, weeds and diseases
- Communicate effectively with clients and team members
- Conduct skid steer loader operations without attachments
- Operate tractors
- Transport and store chemicals
- Operate machinery and equipment
- Maintain pressurised irrigation systems
- Implement a plant nutrition program
- Prune shrubs and small trees
- Install pressurised irrigation systems
- Coordinate work site activities
- Read and respond to basic workplace instructions
- Assist in collecting basic spatial data
- Plant trees and shrubs
- Contribute to work health and safety processes
- Control weeds
- Renovate sports turf
- Install drainage systems
- Establish turf
- Implement a tree maintenance program
- Apply environmentally sustainable work practices
- Sample soils and interpret results
- Operate and maintain chainsaws
- Construct turf playing surfaces
- Operate pressurised irrigation systems
- Identify plant specimens
- Coordinate machinery and equipment maintenance and repair
- Prepare sports turf surfaces for play
|Campus||Fees||Entry||Mid year intake||Attendance|
|Kurri Kurri Campus||No|
|Primary Industries Centre||No|
Campuses: Kurri Kurri Campus.
**ADDITIONAL RESOURCES**You will need to provide for yourself the following resources which you will keep when you complete your study, with an estimated cost of $350: Chemical applications Licence (AQF3 card, issued upon successful completiong of Chemical units of competence 2 x USB Flash drives (2MB to 4MB each)Writing materials: Pens and paper, calculator, scale rule, 1:100, 1:200, 1:500 @ $20. Personal Protective Equipment: ear plugs, sun screen, safety glasses, leather work gloves - riggers gloves, dust masks, Elastic Sided Work Boots and a broad brimmed hat.Field Trips to various Sporting Venues are planned each year to supplement course content. Accommodation and food costs are borne by the learner.
Campuses: Ryde Campus.
**ADDITIONAL RESOURCES**You will need to purchase VETRES chemical application resource package from the College bookshop. Price to be advised.
Campuses: Yallah Campus.
**ADDITIONAL RESOURCES**You will need to provide for yourself the following resources which you will keep when you complete your study:You will need to purchase VETRES chemical application resource package from the College bookshop. Price to be advised.