Type of institution: University/Higher Education Institution
The Bachelor of Primary Education is a comprehensive degree that combines crucial theory with 30 weeks of practical supervised teaching experience. This four-year teaching degree combines educational theory and classroom learning with plenty of hands-on teaching experience at primary schools across New South Wales and beyond. Over the four-year degree, you will be expected to complete 30 weeks of supervised teaching - building from a single week of classroom observation in Year One to a full term internship in Year Four.
- Students study a 4 year program which incorporates theory and practical experience. Over the four years student choose a specialisation from the following selection: Primary (K-6) focus with five (5) specialisation areas
- Early Childhood Specialisation (0-5 years)
- Religious Education Specialisation
- Primary Mathematics Specialisation
- Primary Science and Technology Specialisation
- Primary English Specialisation
- Students study a specialisation within their 4 year Primary Education program. Specialisations are available in: Early Childhood - enables graduates to find employment in a range of settings for children 0-5 years of age including long day care, family day care, pre-schools, after hours care and early childhood specialist for community and government organisations. Religious Education - is essential for those who wish to teach in a Catholic primary school. Primary Mathematics - provides additional study into Mathematics and Numeracy, Extending Mathematical Understanding, Mathematics and ICT and includes a range of Mathematical Projects. Primary Science and Technology - ideal for those wishing to gain a greater insight into Earth and Space, the Living World, Chemistry and Physics. Primary English - provides additional study into English as an Additional Language or Dialect, Grammar and Literacy across the Curriculum.
Standard entry requirements
- Applicants with recent Secondary Education
- Option 1 - HSC performance Band results which include 3 x Band 5 results, with one of these Band 5 results being in English
- Or Option 2 - HSC performance Band Results with a Band 4 in English, a minimum average of Bands 4s and an overall minimum average HSC mark of 75% in HSC Category A Courses (or Interstate equivalent). Applicants must be eligible for an ATAR or OP. Under this option students must pass all courses (units) in their first year before moving into second year
- Or Minimum International Baccalaureate (IB) score of 24. Applicants with Higher Education Study
- Other University Studies completed at undergraduate level or higher. A minimum number of 4 successfully completed subjects
- Or Successful completion of the Notre Dame Tertiary Pathway Program or of another Enabling Program at a level deemed sufficient by the University. Applicants who have successfully completed subjects at another University, which are relevant to the selected program of study, may be eligible for Advanced Standing. Applicants with Vocational Education and Training (VET) study
- Completed AQF Diploma or higher in a relevant discipline, from an accredited provider such as TAFE or a Registered Training Organisation (RTO).
This degree is fully accredited with The NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA).
Students may undertake the University's Tertiary Pathway Program and apply to enter the Primary Teaching Program at the end of their pathway program (entry is not guaranteed), or complete the STAT - Scores of 150 or higher in both the Multiple Choice and Written English sections are required.
|Campus||Fees||Entry||Mid year intake||Attendance|
Non CSP fee is $15,414 annually
Practical Component The amount of school experience in the Notre Dame Bachelor of Primary Education program is significantly more than is offered at many other institutions. In addition to one week observation in the first year, the Bachelor of Primary Education degree provides students with comprehensive practical teaching experience. Year Two - Professional Experience 2 Nine weeks; Year Three - Professional Experience 3 One Full Term;Year Four - Professional Experience 4: Internship One Full Term