Type of institution: University/Higher Education Institution
The Melbourne Conservatorium of Music offers the PhD with expert supervision in Music Therapy, Music Performance, Composition, Music Psychology and Performance Science, Jazz and Improvisation, Interactive Composition, Musicology and Ethnomusicology. In the case of Composition and Music Performance, the PhD thesis takes the form of a performance or composition folio and a dissertation of 20,000-25,000 words that addresses, elucidates and contextualises the creative work of the folio. Musicology, Ethnomusicology, Music Psychology and Performance Science, and Music Therapy PhDs take the form of a more traditional scholarly investigation leading to a thesis of approximately 80,000 words. For Jazz and Improvisation and Interactive Composition a PhD thesis may take the form of performance and/or corpus of creative work, plus a dissertation of 40,000-50,000 words.
300 points of credit.
- Music Therapy
- Contemporary Composition
- Music Psychology
- Performance Science
- plus more
Standard entry requirements
- A four-year bachelors degree in a relevant discipline which includes a substantial research component equivalent to at least 25% of one year of full-time study and have achieved a minimum weighted average of 75% in the final year subjects or (University of Melbourne) equivalent
- Or a masters degree in a relevant discipline which includes a substantial research component equivalent to at least 25% of one year of full-time study and achieved a minimum weighted average of 75% or (University of Melbourne) equivalent or A qualification and professional experience considered to be equivalent
- And a research proposal (except for Composition applicants)
- A folio plan (in the discipline of composition)
- Referee reports (except for applicants who have graduated from the University of Melbourne within the last five years)
- The endorsement of a prospective supervisor.
|Campus||Fees||Entry||Mid year intake||Attendance|
|Southbank||No information available||Yes||No information available|