Type of institution: University/Higher Education Institution
Teaching is a rewarding career choice for those who enjoy being part of children's development. The professional skills learned will be valued by the community and will bring teachers into contact with people of all ages. Teachers are members of one of the largest professions of our society. The degree will give students the opportunity to develop the skills, knowledge and attitudes needed to become a successful secondary teacher. Students are encouraged to be independent learners who are able to adapt efficiently and constructively to meet the changes which occur in the teaching profession. The Music component of this course is offered in fully online mode only, giving students flexibility with regard to location and when they can study and access course materials.
192 credit points (equivalent to 32 standard units) which includes 80 days of embedded professional experience. The coursework is divided evenly between the Education component, and the Music and secondary teaching area components. Candidates are required to pass mandatory literacy and numeracy tests prior to commencing their final professional experience placement.
- Secondary Education-music
- Aural skills
- Musical performance
Standard entry requirements
- Year 12 or equivalent
- English Language Proficiency
- And a satisfactory written personal statement assessed by the discipline within six months prior to the date of enrolment
- And a performing standard equivalent to Grade 6 of the Australian Music Examinations Board demonstrated via audition or music performance qualifications
- And a music theory standard equivalent to Grade 4 of the Australian Music Examinations Board demonstrated via music performance qualifications or the successful completion of a music theory test set by the Music Discipline Convenor
- In addition you must satisfy the School of suitability for teaching through the satisfactory completion of the Personal Statement for Initial Teacher Education Course Entry.
NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA). Students should note that teacher registration requirements vary from state to state. UNE bases its degree structures on the NSW Institute of Teachers guidelines for teacher registration.
An exit pathway is available for eligible students.
|Campus||Fees||Entry||Mid year intake||Attendance|
|UNE Armidale (main campus)||International: $107,520||Yes|
Students undertaking a Professional Experience placement must complete a Working with Children Check, Child Protection Awareness Training, and complete an approved Anaphylaxis Management training program.