Victoria University (VU)

Victoria University is the only university in Australia to use the block teaching model, which has been in operation throughout Sweden and parts of North America for more than four decades.

First-year and second-year students at Victoria University complete one subject every four weeks, are assessed, and then proceed to the next four-week unit. Immersion in each subject allows students to master it, rather than juggling four units at once. From 2020, all students will be taught in this way.

Victoria University is one of only six Australian universities to combine higher education and vocational and further education with its Victoria University Polytechnic, which is based on multiple university campuses. The Polytechnic creates pathways direct to the workforce or to university degrees.

VU College offers English language courses, pathway diplomas and courses for international students at its Melbourne and Sydney campuses as well as offshore with international education partners.

Provider CRICOS: 00124K

This provider is accredited to deliver courses to international students, (CRICOS code 00124K)

Entry requirements for Victoria University (VU)

As well as receiving Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC) applications for entry to specific courses, VU also provides an alternative entry program, the Portfolio Partnership Program (PPP), for Australian residents attending one of the University's partnership schools.

The PPP requires school leavers to submit a portfolio of information as well as listing the Portfolio course in the VTAC application preference list. Further information can be obtained by contacting school career advisers or by visiting

Applications for some courses are made directly to the University.

Transfering your previous study credits

Victoria University offers a broad range of courses from bridging and preparatory programs to PhDs. It is committed to establishing multiple entry and exit points enabling students to start in a program that best meets their learning needs and to exit with the qualification that will assist them to realise their vocational and educational aspirations.

Victoria University is committed to recognising skills and knowledge acquired outside the University through: study towards formally recognised qualifications (either fully or partially completed) such as a degree, diploma, certificate offered by TAFE institutes, private training providers, workplaces, VET in school programs, universities and overseas educational institutions; short courses that do not lead to formal qualifications, such as those offered by professional bodies, voluntary associations, workplaces, trade unions, government agencies and/or community groups; work experience; and life experience. Prior learning will be considered for selection into a course. It may also form the basis for exemptions or credit. The University is committed to granting the highest level of credit consistent with a student's prior studies and work/life experiences and their chances of success in their course.

A number of processes have been established to facilitate the recognition of prior learning. Formal study is recognised through learning pathways and a credit transfer process. The University has created hundreds of formally approved (or standardised) pathways. If there is no relevant standardised pathway, students can negotiate a customised pathway. Exemptions on the basis of non-credentialed study, and life and work experience are determined through a Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) assessment process. Students must gain entry into a course before they are eligible for credits.

External study opportunities

Some vocational education (TAFE) programs and degree courses are offered through flexible and off-campus delivery, such as in the workplace.

The University's VU Learning Link is a community outreach program offering tertiary courses at community learning centres in the Melbourne western region suburbs of Broadmeadows, Sunbury and Altona Meadows.

Is the information on this page correct? Request update

Request Information
Enquire about this institution