Automotive air conditioning fitters install and repair air conditioning units in various types of vehicles and machinery, such as cars, trucks, vans and tractors.
Personal requirements of a Automotive Air Conditioning Fitter
- enjoy practical and manual activities
- good hand-eye coordination
- aptitude for mechanical work
- able to keep up to date with technological change
- problem-solving skills.
Duties & Tasks of a Automotive Air Conditioning Fitter
Automotive air conditioning fitters may perform the following tasks:
- install, fit and connect the unit to the electrical wiring and engine
- fill the unit with refrigerant and test it for leaks and malfunctions
- carry out maintenance work on existing units, including testing, fault finding, dismantling, repair or replacement of faulty parts, re-assembly and final testing.
Working conditions for a Automotive Air Conditioning Fitter
Most of the work is done in a workshop.