Joiners cut, shape and fit timber parts in workshops or on-site to form structures and fixtures that are ready for installation. This could include built-in robes, kitchen and bathroom components or staircases.
Personal requirements of a Joiner
- enjoy practical and manual activities
- enjoy working with wood
- good hand-eye coordination
- some mathematical ability
- good health and eyesight
- able to work as part of a team.
Duties & Tasks of a Joiner
Joiners may perform the following tasks:
- determine job requirements from drawings, templates and written instructions
- set up jigs, select and cut timber to size and shape using templates
- cut joints using wood-cutting machines or hand tools
- assemble prepared wood to form structures and fittings
- work with plastic laminates, perspex or metals
- maintain and sharpen tools.