How to become a Teacher - Physical Education

Physical education (PE) teachers instruct students in sports, recreational activities and healthy lifestyle issues, in order to encourage and develop physical fitness and skills, self-esteem and interpersonal skills.

Personal requirements of a Teacher - Physical Education

  • Enjoy and have skills in physical activity
  • Enthusiastic, patient and tactful
  • Enjoy working with young people
  • Good communication skills
  • Commitment to personal health and physical fitness
  • Excellent organisational skills
  • Prepared to work outside of school hours

Education & Training for a Teacher - Physical Education

To become a physical education teacher you usually have to complete a degree in education, with a major in health and physical education or human movement. Alternatively, you could complete a relevant degree (such as human movement), followed by a postgraduate qualification in education or teaching. To get into the degree courses you usually need to gain your Senior Secondary Certificate of Education. Prerequisite subjects, or assumed knowledge, in one or more of English, mathematics, biology, chemistry and physics are normally required. Universities have different prerequisites and some have flexible entry requirements or offer external study. Contact the institutions you are interested in for more information. For further details, visit Entry to postgraduate courses usually requires completion of an appropriate bachelor degree as well as teaching experience or a background in the sports, fitness or recreation industries. A number of universities in Australia offer postgraduate courses in education or teaching. They are also available by distance education. Contact the institutions you are interested in for more information.

Additional Information
Before undertaking practical placements required by courses, students will need to obtain a Working with Children Check. A National Police Certificate may also be required. Contact the institutions you are interested in for more information. You will need to register with the teaching board in your state or territory. Teachers are required by mandatory reporting laws to report suspected cases of child abuse or neglect.
Related careers