Library assistants maintain, sort, issue and receive library items such as books, magazines, tapes, films and associated records.
Personal requirements for a Library Assistant
- Aptitude for working with computers
- Able to cope with the physical demands of the job
- Good organisational skills
- Good communication skills
- Able to work under pressure
- Good customer service skills.
Duties & Tasks of a Library Assistant
Library assistants may perform the following tasks:
- Sort material according to classification or catalogue numbers and return library materials to shelves or other storage areas
- Issue items from library collections to borrowers and record identification data and due dates
- Check records to compile lists of overdue items
- Inspect returned items for damage and make minor repairs where required
- Issue identification cards to borrowers
- Answer telephone enquiries
- Assist librarians and library technicians with information enquiries
- Assist with outreach services, such as a home library service for people who are not able to visit the library due to illness or disability
- Assist customers in finding physical and online materials
- Perform inter-library loan functions.
Working conditions for a Library Assistant
Library assistants work as part of a team under the supervision of librarians or library technicians. They are often responsible for daily library operations.