Livestock Farm Hands carry out a range of basic and specialist duties on livestock farms, including animal care and general maintenance. Depending on the industry and size of the operation, they may have more specialist tasks such as milking or shearing duties or administration. They work under limited supervision.
Personal requirements for a Livestock Farm Hand
- Good at planning
- Able to analyse and solve problems
- Responsible approach and attitude
- Able to work outdoors in all kinds of weather conditions
- Able to handle isolation and limited social contact
- Able to handle animals with confidence and patience
- Able to work independently and as part of a team.
Duties & Tasks of a Livestock Farm Hand
Livestock Farm Hands may perform the following tasks:
- Muster and move animals
- Operate and maintain machinery and equipment
- Assist with the breeding and care of young animals.
Working conditions for a Livestock Farm Hand
Livestock Farm Hands may work on large or small enterprises. They spend much of their time working outdoors and may need to travel between a number of properties to manage activities.