Navy technical sailors are trained for peacetime and wartime work as electronic, marine and aviation specialists and in other technical areas.
Personal requirements for a Navy Technical Sailor
- Enjoy technical work
- Australian citizenship
- At least 17 years of age
- Meet medical and aptitude requirements.
Duties & Tasks of a Navy Technical Sailor
A Navy technical sailor may specialise as an/a:
- Aviation Technician (Aircraft)
- Maintains, repairs and overhauls the Navy's aircraft and engine systems and components (other than electrical systems) both on land and on board Navy ships.
- Aviation Technician (Avionics)
- Maintains and repairs electronic equipment fitted to the Navy's aircraft, such as radio and navigation equipment or anti-submarine warfare systems.
- Electronics Technician
- Maintains all electronic and electrical systems on board Navy ships. They are responsible for the hydraulics associated with weapons systems and for the electronics associated with missiles, sonars and communications equipment.
- Marine Technician
- Repairs and maintains a warship's propulsion machinery and ancillary equipment, as well as the hull and all its fittings.