Pathology Couriers are non-medical transport drivers who collect and distribute pathology specimens between doctors' surgeries, hospitals and pathology laboratories.
Personal requirements for a Pathology Courier
- Trustworthy and reliable
- Able to gain a thorough knowledge of city and suburban streets
- Good communication skills and effective interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritise tasks and work under pressure
- Safe driving skills.
Duties & Tasks of a Pathology Courier
Pathology Couriers may perform the following tasks:
- Pickup and delivery of pathology specimens, stock, and other items to doctors and hospitals
- Ensure the safe and timely transport of specimens
- Make sure pathology specimens are correctly stowed
- Plan the shortest delivery route and drive the vehicle to the destination
- Report vehicle maintenance needs
- Hand-deliver specimens.
Working conditions for a Pathology Courier
Some pathology couriers are employed on a casual basis and provide their own vehicles. Motorcycle and bicycle couriers nearly always provide their own transport. Some couriers wear a uniform.