Type of institution: University/Higher Education Institution
This pathway provides students with flexibility, choice and guaranteed entry to the 2 year Master of Teaching (Primary R-7) following successful completion (to a required standard) of the 3 year Bachelor of Arts. On entry to this pathway students receive academic counselling to ensure they will complete the requisite topics in the Bachelor of Arts to successfully transition to the Master of Teaching (Primary R-7). Note - if students start the pathway mid year, it will take them at least 5 and a half years to complete the Master of Teaching as it does not offer mid year entry.
On completing the Bachelor of Arts program to a required standard, students will be eligible to progress directly to the Master of Teaching (Primary R-7) degree. The Master of Teaching is a pre-service teaching degree. This course provides students with the background necessary to apply for registration as primary teachers from Reception to Year 7. Topics covered include education studies, curriculum studies, and professional experience in schools. A languages strand is available to students who wish to teach languages (you will have needed to study the necessary languages in your Bachelor of Arts degree).
- Applied linguistics
- Australian studies
- Creative writing
- Criminal justice
- Geography and environmental studies
- International relations
- Legal studies
- Modern Greek
- Political studies
- Screen and media
- Visual arts
- Women's studies
Standard entry requirements
- Year 12 or equivalent qualifications
- Or mature age entry (STAT)
- Or TAFE/VET qualifications
- Or higher education transfers
- Or completion of a foundation studies program. Applicants must complete a non-academic assessment task as part of their application to demonstrate their motivation to teach, their strong interpersonal and communication skills, willingness to learn, resilience, self-efficacy, and strong organisational and planning skills.
This Master of Teaching qualification will enable you to apply for registration with the Teachers Registration Board of South Australia. You are advised to check registration requirements as they are subject to change. Graduates looking for employment in other parts of Australia and overseas may be required to meet additional conditions. Graduates meet Australian Children's Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA) employment criteria.