Type of institution: University/Higher Education Institution
Teaching is a rewarding career choice for those who enjoy being part of children's development. The professional skills learned will be valued by the community and will bring teachers into contact with people of all ages. Teachers are members of one of the largest professions of our society. The degree will give students the opportunity to develop the skills, knowledge and attitudes needed to become a successful secondary teacher. Students are encouraged to be independent learners who are able to adapt efficiently and constructively to meet the changes which occur in the teaching profession.
192 credit points (equivalent to 32 standard units) which includes 80 days of embedded professional experience. The coursework is evenly divided between the Education and Science components. Students must pass mandatory literacy and numeracy tests prior to their final professional experience placement.
- Agricultural science
- Computing technology
- Earth and environmental science
- Secondary education
- Secondary education-science
- Software design
Standard entry requirements
- Year 12 or equivalent
- And have a minimum of three Band 5 HSC results including English or bridging units or alternative pathways as approved by NESA
- In addition you must satisfy the School of suitability for teaching through the satisfactory completion of the Personal Statement for Initial Teacher Education Course Entry English Language Proficiency
- Assumed knowledge: any 2 units of English and Mathematics
- Recommended: Physics and/or Chemistry and/or Biology, depending on the majors undertaken
NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA). Students should note that teacher registration requirements vary from state to state. UNE bases its degree structures on the NSW Institute of Teachers guidelines for teacher registration.
|Campus||Fees||Entry||Mid year intake||Attendance|
|UNE Armidale (main campus)||International: $117,376||Yes|
Students undertaking Professional Experience placements must complete a Working with Children Check, Child Protection Awareness Training and complete an approved Anaphylaxis Management training program.