Electrical engineering associates are involved in the planning, design, selection, installation, starting up and maintenance of electrical equipment, facilities, power plant installations, parts and distribution systems. Electrical engineering associates usually work on a range of duties that lie between the trade level and technologist level.
Personal requirements of a Electrical Engineering Associate
- enjoy technical and engineering activities
- good with hands
- capacity for accurate, careful work
- able to identify, analyse and solve problems
- good oral and written communication skills
- good at computing and design
- good at mathematics
- able to work independently and as part of a team.
Duties & Tasks of a Electrical Engineering Associate
Electrical engineering associates may perform the following tasks:
- assist electrical engineers with the design and layout of electrical installations and circuitry in power stations, transformers, substations, switchgear, cabling systems and motor-control systems
- collect information, perform calculations and prepare diagrams and drawings of electrical installations and circuitry
- determine material costs and quantities
- check that designs and finished products follow specifications, regulations and contract details
- use computers to produce designs, detailed drawings and documentation
- assist with testing and starting up electrical equipment and installations, and in supervising operations and maintenance
- look after and test equipment, and construct prototypes and final assemblies
- assist with research and development programmes.