Laundry workers sort, check and stack items of clothing and linen, and load and unload washing and drying machines in laundries.
Personal requirements of a Laundry Worker
- able to read and understand washing instructions
- enjoy practical work
- able to cope with the physical demands of the job
- no skin allergies
- able to work quickly and efficiently.
Duties & Tasks of a Laundry Worker
Laundry workers may perform the following tasks:
- make sure that items are identified with the customer's number or mark
- assign barcodes and record items as they arrive
- separate items according to colour, fabric and the cleaning treatment required, watching for damage and stains
- load and unload washing and drying machines
- monitor the computerised washing and drying systems in laundry machines
- operate special pressing and ironing machines
- fold, count, stack and package items for delivery
- maintain hygiene standards and follow hygiene procedures
- maintain the machinery.
Working conditions for a Laundry Worker
Laundries are warm, steamy and quite noisy workplaces. Laundry workers may be required to stand for long periods.