Site reliability engineering focuses on ensuring the reliability, scalability and efficiency of complex computer systems.
Personal requirements for a Site Reliability Engineer
- Analytical skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Attention to detail
- Communication skills
Education & Training for a Site Reliability Engineer
A bachelor degree in computer science, engineering or a related field is usually required to become a site reliability engineer. A postgraduate degree in a relevant field may also be advantageous. Additionally, experience working with computer systems, software development and IT infrastructure is essential.To enhance their technical skills, site reliability engineers can also undertake industry certifications, such as those offered by Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud. These certifications demonstrate proficiency in cloud technologies, containerisation, and automation tools used in site reliability engineering roles.
According to Payscale, the average salary for a site reliability engineer in Australia is approximately $117,000 per year (as of 2023), although this can vary depending on the level of experience, location and industry.
Duties & Tasks of a Site Reliability Engineer
Site reliability engineers:
- Ensure the reliability and performance of complex computer systems
- Bridge the gap between software development and operations
- Design, develop and implement strategies for system automation
- Collaborate with software engineers and system administrators to optimise system performance
- Monitor and analyse system metrics to identify areas for improvement
- Develop and implement incident response and disaster recovery plans
- Conduct performance testing and capacity planning
- Troubleshoot system issues and providing timely resolutions
- Conduct root cause analysis for system failures.
- Design and implement system monitoring and alerting tools
- Automate manual processes to improve system efficiency
- Implement and maintain infrastructure as code using tools like Terraform or Ansible
- Manage and configure cloud-based services and platforms
- Perform regular backups and data restoration processes
- Conduct system audits to ensure compliance with security standards
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to plan and implement system upgrades or migrations
- Document system configurations, processes and procedures
Working conditions for a Site Reliability Engineer
Site reliability engineers typically work in office environments. They may be required to work outside of regular business hours to handle system emergencies or perform scheduled maintenance. Remote work options may be available depending on the employer and project requirements.
Employment Opportunities for a Site Reliability Engineer
There is an increasing reliance on complex IT systems by businesses of all sizes. Many industries, including finance, healthcare and technology, require site reliability engineers to maintain and optimise their systems. The most significant employers of site reliability engineers in Australia include financial institutions, software development companies and telecommunication companies.Site reliability engineers may also work as consultants or contractors, providing their expertise to companies on a project-by-project basis. Many site reliability engineers also work remotely, providing their services to companies in different states or countries.
Site reliability engineers may specialise in the following fields:
- Cloud infrastructure management — In this specialisation, site reliability engineers focus on overseeing and optimising the management of cloud-based infrastructure and services to ensure efficient and reliable operations in the cloud environment.
- Network reliability engineering — Site reliability engineers specialising in network reliability engineering are responsible for managing and improving the reliability, performance and availability of network systems and infrastructure to support seamless communication and connectivity.
- Database reliability engineering — Site reliability engineers in this specialisation focus on ensuring the reliability, performance and availability of databases by implementing best practices, monitoring and optimising database systems to support efficient data storage, retrieval and management.
- Performance optimisation — Site reliability engineers specialising in performance optimisation focus on identifying and implementing strategies to enhance the performance and efficiency of systems, applications and infrastructure, ensuring optimal user experience and resource utilisation.
Skill level rating
Very high skill