Type of institution: University/Higher Education Institution
This program will allow students to obtain a teaching qualification if they have a bachelor degree in a field other than education.The course is designed to complement content knowledge obtained from their previous qualification, and the breadth of life and other experiences they can draw on in the teaching profession. Curriculum studies will prepare them to use their existing knowledge to develop and plan effective teaching strategies to respond to the diverse needs of students. Key capabilities in classroom and behaviour management will be developed before undertaking the first professional experience in a school setting. Students will engage in up-to-date and relevant learning experiences designed to prepare them for their new career. Students will be prepared to teach two subjects in years 7-12 in secondary schools.
- The 192 credit point course specialises in two teaching areas for teaching grades 7-12 in secondary schools. Teaching areas: Dance Education (first teaching area only)
- Drama Education
- English Education
- Film and Media Education (second teaching area only)
- Mathematics Education
- Music Education (first teaching area only)
- Science Education (Biology)
- Science Education (Chemistry)
- Science Education (Earth and Environmental Science) Science Education (Physics)
- Science Education(Psychology)
- Social Education (Geography) (second teaching area only)
- Social Education (History)
- Visual Arts Education (first teaching area). Note teaching area offerings are subject to approval.
Standard entry requirements
- A completed recognised 3-year degree not in education or in a course leading to teacher registration, with a grade point average score of 4.0 on QUT's 7 point scale
- Plus for the first teaching area successful completion of at least three-quarters of a year of successful full-time higher education study must have been completed in a major area or equivalent, and for the second teaching area it is assumed that at least half a year of successful full-time higher education study has been completed in a minor area or equivalent. Applicants must submit a statement addressing suitability criteria.
This course meets professional teaching standards for the Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership, and Queensland College of Teachers and graduates are eligible to apply for teacher registration. Graduates looking for employment in other parts of Australia and overseas may be required to meet additional conditions.
Students may be able to apply for advanced standing (credit) for previous study.
|Campus||Fees||Entry||Mid year intake||Attendance|
|Kelvin Grove||International: $60,600||No|
Students will need to be issued with a blue card prior to having contact with children as part of this course if studying in Queensland or completing international professional experience. For other Australian states and territories students must fulfil that state or territory's requirements for working with children. Students will need to successfully complete the National Literacy and Numeracy Test for Initial Teacher Education Students to graduate from the course. Students are permitted three test attempts in total for each component as a student at QUT. Students are not eligible to apply for a place in the course if they have failed two test attempts for one or more components, at another institution. QUT provides students with one reimbursement to cover the cost of the test.