Fish farm hands assist with the growing and cultivation of fish and the maintenance of fish farm premises and equipment.
Personal requirements for a Fish Farm Hand
- Enjoy outdoor work
- Able to cope with the physical demands of the job
- Able to swim.
Duties & Tasks of a Fish Farm Hand
Fish farm hands may perform the following tasks:
- Feed and grade fish and monitor their growth
- Assist with farm layout and the construction of nets, longlines and/or cages
- Check and look after all equipment and fish housing
- Operate pumps and other equipment
- Test and check on water quality
- Remove dead or dying fish
- Operate lifting equipment such as forklifts and small cranes
- Handle marine vessels (barges, for example)
- Harvest fish and sort and pack for transportation
- Maintain farm records.
Working conditions for a Fish Farm Hand
Fish farm hands may be employed in either finfish farming or shellfish farming. They usually work outside, either on or in the water, and at shore-based facilities. Fish farms are generally located in sheltered waters. Most fish farm hands are expected to work overtime, particularly in the summer months.