Laundry workers sort, check and stack items of clothing and linen, and load and unload washing and drying machines in laundries.
Personal requirements for a Laundry Worker
- Able to read and understand washing instructions
- Enjoy practical work
- Able to cope with the physical demands of the job
- No skin allergies
- Able to work quickly and efficiently.
Duties & Tasks of a Laundry Worker
Laundry workers may perform the following tasks:
- Make sure that items are identified with the customer's number or mark
- Assign barcodes and record items as they arrive
- Separate items according to colour, fabric and the cleaning treatment required, watching for damage and stains
- Load and unload washing and drying machines
- Monitor the computerised washing and drying systems in laundry machines
- Operate special pressing and ironing machines
- Fold, count, stack and package items for delivery
- Maintain hygiene standards and follow hygiene procedures
- Maintain the machinery.
Working conditions for a Laundry Worker
Laundries are warm, steamy and quite noisy workplaces. Laundry workers may be required to stand for long periods.