Recyclers collect, sort and handle a range of recyclable items such as paper, glass, metals and plastics that are then processed and prepared for resale.
Personal requirements for a Recycler
- Enjoy practical work
- Understand the benefits of reducing waste and recycling
- Able to cope with the physical demands of the job
- Aware of public health and personal hygiene issues.
Duties & Tasks of a Recycler
Recyclers may perform the following tasks:
- Separate recyclable items according to type
- Calculate payment to customers
- Manually prepare recyclable products
- Operate a forklift
- Find markets for sale of products
- Deliver products to market for resale
- Seek to increase and promote recycling
- Assist with or provide advice relating to the development of on-site technology for more efficient handling of recyclable items
- Assist with or provide advice about minimising and avoiding waste.
Working conditions for a Recycler
Recyclable products are collected from community groups, households, industry and commercial establishments, such as hotels, restaurants and clubs.Recyclers work in conditions that can be dirty and unhygienic.