Type of institution: University/Higher Education Institution
The Bachelor of Veterinary Nursing is the first para-professional veterinary nursing qualification of this level available in Australia. It is designed to produce highly skilled clinicians with exceptional levels of practical skill, knowledge and in-depth understanding gained through a stimulating exploration of the academic underpinnings of the field. A semester-long industry placement in second year provides the opportunity to apply the theory and practices learned on campus in a range of areas of interest. This placement, along with ongoing comprehensive practical clinical experience will ensure that graduates are 'Future ready' and highly employable. In third year, students can opt to undertake paid work in veterinary practices (outside of classes). Throughout their course, students undertake WIL placements in various industry settings including hospitals, animal shelters and farms. Students are fully supervised by experienced veterinary team members while at external placements. This course is delivered in partnership with Melbourne Polytechnic at Epping.
Standard entry requirements
- All applicants must complete and submit a Personal Statement. Applicants must include details of: 1) Why they wish to study veterinary nursing
- 2) Any animal-related experience
- 3) Any veterinary related experience
- 4) Any animal related qualifications
- 5) Any community engagement, volunteering or leadership experience. Applicants are also required to submit any supporting evidence (including evidence of prior studies) and/or letters of support at time of application. VCE: Units 3 and 4: a study score of at least 25 in English (EAL) or at least 20 in English other than EAL. Units 3 and 4: a study score of at least 20 in one of Biology, Chemistry or any Mathematics. Applicants may be required to attend an interview. Details will be provided by telephone or mail to applicants required to attend. Applicants who do not satisfy the stated prerequisites, or have not successfully completed Year 12 must sit the STAT Multiple Choice.
|Campus||Fees||Entry||Mid year intake||Attendance|
|Melbourne||International: $101,400||No information available||Yes||No information available|
Graduate employment opportunities will be available in the private and public sectors, including veterinary clinics and hospitals as nurses and/or practice managers, or roles in large organisations that specialise in veterinary pharmaceutical or nutrition. This course will be delivered in partnership with Melbourne Polytechnic (Epping Campus). Unless attending an off-site placement, students will attend the Epping campus of Melbourne Polytechnic for the duration of their course.