Type of institution: University/Higher Education Institution
This is a 2-year graduate entry initial teacher education program for pre-service primary school teachers. It is informed by the latest research and contains (i) an introduction to the profession, Aboriginal education, teaching students who have English as an additional language or dialect, teaching and learning, inclusive and special education, classroom behaviour management, literacy education and ICT across the curriculum; (ii) eight curriculum methods units; and (iii) 60 days of professional experience, spread across three units in the course, including an 'online demonstration school' and a professional experience internship. Students are also introduced to research principles and methods and complete a research project as part of their candidature.
Candidates must pass units to the value of 96 credit points (equivalent to 16 standard units) which includes 60 days of embedded professional experience. A student's program of study and credit points for completion are determined by the qualification used as the basis for admission. Students are required to pass mandatory literacy and numeracy tests prior to commencing their final professional experience placement.
- Creative and practical arts
- Human society and its environment
- Science and technology
Standard entry requirements
- Bachelor degree or a Bachelor degree and a postgraduate qualification, with a GPA of at least 3.50 in which they have completed the equivalent of one full academic year or 8 units of study in a discipline area or discipline areas relevant to one or more of the following Key Learning Areas (KLAs): English
- Science and Technology
- Human Society and Its Environment
- Creative and Practical Arts
- PDHPE. All students must meet the University's English Language Requirements for this program, which are higher than standard postgraduate requirements.
NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA). UNE bases its degree structures on the NESA guidelines, under the Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership framework for teacher registration. Students should note that teacher registration requirements vary from state to state.
Students may be eligible for credit (advanced standing) for previously completed studies.
|Campus||Fees||Entry||Mid year intake||Attendance|
|UNE Armidale (main campus)||
||Yes||No information available|
All students must complete a Criminal Record Check; Working with Children Check; and complete an approved Anaphylaxis Training program.