Type of institution: University/Higher Education Institution
The Master of Medical Sonography (Cardiac) is for medical radiation or other allied health professionals who want to broaden their career prospects. In just three years of part-time study students extend their knowledge, practical skills and understanding of medical sonography, with the opportunity to learn advanced clinical skills, or pursue research. With practical learning a major focus, students embark on 2,000 cardiac ultrasound cases and associated clinical placements. The degree is offered online, with attendance at an on-campus final clinical assessment and is studied part-time, over a minimum of three years. This qualification may also suit qualified sonographers seeking to upskill in an area of interest.
- 54 units of study
- satisfactory completion of 2000 clinical examinations of cardiac ultrasound across various pathologies
- Medical Sonography
- Cardiac Sonography
Standard entry requirements
- Hold a relevant allied health or health science degree completed at a bachelor's degree level or higher from a recognised higher education institution, and have a minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of 5 (credit average) or international equivalent
- OR hold a recognised Graduate Diploma in Cardiac Sonography or equivalent qualification and have a minimum GPA of 5 (credit average) or international equivalent
- OR be an Accredited Cardiac Sonographer with 5 years accredited experience
- OR be an Accredited Cardiac Sonographer with 2 years accredited experience where accreditation was awarded following completion of a recognised degree. International students who speak English as a foreign language must have obtained the required standards prior to admission.
This program enables graduates to apply for full professional accreditation from the Australian Sonographer Accreditation Registry (ASAR) under the Cardiac Sonography category. Evidence of scanning experience in an Australian or New Zealand clinical setting is required for such accreditation.
Students can use this qualification as a pathway to further learning, including Masters by Research and Doctor of Philosophy.
Applicants are responsible for organising their own training position in an ultrasound department in order to acquire the scanning experience. There is a separate program for Australian citizens residing overseas not planning to reside in Australia for at least one course; or New Zealand citizens, or Australian permanent residents, not based in Australia for the entire duration of their studies.