Power generation plant operators control and operate a range of machinery and instruments used in the electricity supply industry (ESI) for generating electric power. This may involve mechanical, electrical or chemical processes.
Personal requirements of a Power Generation Plant Operator
- logical and thorough approach to work
- able to follow procedures and committed to safe work practices
- good at mechanical and/or electrical activities
- able to accept responsibility and make decisions.
Duties & Tasks of a Power Generation Plant Operator
Power generation plant operators may perform the following tasks:
- control the flow of fuel to boilers and make sure that the machinery is working properly
- control the flow of water in hydroelectric power stations and ensure that the machinery is working correctly
- operate control instruments to switch off lines or equipment and to connect alternative circuits
- check instruments and switchboards to make sure that all systems are working efficiently to detect line disturbances and to check the flow of power
- find faults and perform basic repairs in mechanical, electrical and process control equipment and coordinate specialist repairs
- shut down or start up boilers or turbines to decrease or increase power output
- operate power switches for safety of crews and to avoid interruptions during repairs
- undertake safe work procedures to isolate plant machinery and equipment for maintenance and repair
- compile records and reports on equipment performance, instrument readings and switching operations
- clean, lubricate and repair equipment
- control processes and equipment associated with inputs for power generation such as fuel, chemicals and water
- control processes and equipment associated with management of by-products to minimise their environmental impact
- respond to emergencies such as fire and environmental hazards.
Working conditions for a Power Generation Plant Operator
They work in control rooms, operating a controlling console, and also out in the plant. Shiftwork is required.