Saw doctors make, repair, maintain and sharpen a wide range of cutting tools and saw blades. They also maintain mechanical parts of a range of production machines.
Personal requirements for a Saw Doctor
- Enjoy practical and manual activities
- Able to cope with the physical demands of the job
- Normal vision and hearing
- Good hand-eye coordination.
Duties & Tasks of a Saw Doctor
Saw doctors may perform the following tasks:
- Manufacture saw blades from blank sheets or strips of steel
- Straighten and stretch steel in circular and band saws
- Operate hand and power tools, machines and mechanical equipment
- Mill, grind, press or sharpen cutting tools
- Weld tools, saws and cutting edges
- Manufacture and maintain the straightness and balance in all cutting tools and saw blades
- Use hand skills to manipulate machines to sharpen saws and cutting tools so that they produce the required surface finish on sawn or milled products
- Maintain a range of mechanical parts on sawing machinery used in timber processing.