Type of institution: TAFE Institute
This qualification reflects the role of pathology assistants and specimen reception staff in laboratories. Workers in this role follow known routines and procedures, taking responsibility for their own work under general supervision. No licensing, legislative, regulatory or certification requirements apply to this qualification at the time of publication.
- 14 units: 8 core
- 6 elective
- Maintain the laboratory/field workplace fit for purpose
- Communicate and work in health or community services
- Participate in workplace health and safety
- Interpret and apply medical terminology appropriately
- Perform calibration checks on equipment and assist with its maintenance
- Prepare working solutions
- Recognise healthy body systems
- Receive, prepare and dispatch pathology specimens
- Comply with infection prevention and control policies and procedures
- Work with diverse people
- Record and present data
- Contribute to the achievement of quality objectives
- Perform microscopic examination
- Prepare culture media
- Deliver a service to customers
- Apply awareness of dangerous goods and hazardous materials requirements
- Perform aseptic techniques
- Receive and prepare samples for testing
- Create and use databases
- Produce spreadsheets
- Perform basic tests
- Perform biological procedures
- Use business technology
|Campus||Fees||Entry||Mid year intake||Attendance|
|Ultimo College, Main Campus||No|
Campuses: Newcastle Campus.
**ADDITIONAL RESOURCES**You will need to provide for yourself the following resources which you will keep when you complete your study:- Saftey glasses: $15- Laboratory coat or gown: $35- USB: $5 for the download of delivery material. Students must also have access to a computer and the internet to participate in the connected delivery of the theory matetrials and tutorial sessions
Campuses: Ultimo College, Main Campus.
**ADDITIONAL RESOURCES**You will need to provide for yourself the following resources which you will keep when you complete your study:Students must dress appropriately for practical classes with fully enclosed low heeled shoes. Students must also supply a laboratory coat or hospital gown and safety glasses for use in practical classes. Students must also supply their own sationary and a scientific calculator.